The sneakers come in 5 sizes and I made size 3, which should correspond to 6-9 months. I am glad I didn’t pick the smallest size because sewing these shoes was much fiddlier than the ones I made for myself. Add in some fusible fleece that didn’t want to fuse (any tips anyone?) and it did take me longer to finish these than I had initially expected. It was still a pretty fast make though as I finished them in less than an afternoon.
For the outside I used a red with yellow flower print baby rib and for the lining an Ikea kids fabric. The outside layer was interfaced with fusible fleece to provide warmth. For the sole I used red slipper grippers. 6-9 month old babies probably don’t really need anti slip on their shoes yet but I figured “better safe than sorry”.
The pattern provides a placement marking for a snap closure but I thought velcro would be a better choice since that is easier to close and makes it possible to adjust how tight the shoes are closed. I do wonder though how easy it will be for the child to kick them off.
I might make these sneakers again, but then I think I will go for the largest size (12-18 months) to make the sewing and turning right side out a bit easier.
When I looked up the pattern so I could link to it I saw that ithinksew has a sale until the 15th so if you were already interested in any of their patterns now would be a good time to get it. Of course now I am also tempted to try another one….