This month was Annett’s turn and she chose orange, turquoise and green with a white background. I struggled a bit this time. I tried several ideas but didn’t like how they turned out while it took quite a bit of time to make them. These experiments, unfortunately, also ate up most of my white fabric so I had to throw in some off-white instead because I had no time left to get more. It made me realise that I don’t work with white very often; I only had 1 fat quarter in my stash. This has been remedied now as the next two months also require white.
Anyway, eventually I managed to produce 3 blocks that I like and they were sent off only a couple of days late.
The first is a wonky log cabin, the simplicity of this shape and the asymmetry really attracts me.
At least I managed to use two of the diamond strips in the second block that I made. I really love these strips (and the point matching on these turned out pretty awesome if I may say so myself), but when too many of them were put together it just didn’t work for me.
The last block was started by playing with the left-overs from the other two blocks and turning them into narrow strips bordered by white. I quite like the abstract art feeling of this block. The orange border was a happy accident, it was originally not planned but I didn’t have enough white fabric left to make the block 12.5” x 12.5”. I think the block would have had less visual impact without the additional orange.
The blocks made by the other participants can be found on the F2F page.