Completed: A cover for my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 keyboard cover

Yes, you read that correctly, I made a cover for a cover. Which may perhaps at first seem like an odd thing to do but to me it made perfect sense.

180812_3

Sometimes I want to take something with me that I can use to easily make notes on and send e-mails. A phone is a bit too small and while a laptop would work, it is also a bit heavy and large, so I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3. When I bought it I could also get the keyboard cover for free which sounded like a useful addition for what I want to use a tablet for. I also liked that this tablet comes with a stylus that you can use to simply write on the screen.

180812_6

Closed cover

 

However, I wasn’t entirely sold on the design of the keyboard cover when I received it. My main objections:

  1. It looks yawn-inducing boring, I am not sure I could make it look even more boring if I tried.
  2. I am not so sure that the keys won’t scratch the screen of the tablet when it is closed.
  3. There is no real closure, it just folds over and that’s it, nothing is holding it in the folded position which seems like a bit of a risk if you throw it in a bag with other stuff.
180812_4

Boring, right?

If you would want to use the tablet for taking pictures there is also no hole in the cover for the camera. Since I think it is a bit ridiculous to use a tablet for taking pictures I don’t really find this an issue but I suppose other people might.

Ever since laying eyes on this cover I have been thinking on how to improve and prettify it. One option I even considered was making a completely separate cover and only using the keyboard cover when I want to use the keyboard, but that would mean lugging two things with me which is also a bit stupid and would probably result in me leaving the keyboard at home.

180812_1

Open cover with flap still covering the keyboard.

As I was playing with fabric and the cover I realised I could also simply cover it up and add the features I was missing. I sort of made this project up as I went along and while it certainly didn’t turn out perfect I think it will do the job just fine.

180812_2

Outside and lining before they were sewn together.

The outside of the cover contains a very thin layer of polyester batting and is quilted but without a backing. The flap that folds to the inside to cover the keyboard has a single layer of iron on fabric interfacing. To the outside I also sewed a very subtly stretched piece of soft elastic that is used to keep the cover closed. It also contains two tubes of elastic that are used to hold the stylus in place when it is not in use. The keyboard cover came with a thingy to hold the stylus that can be glued to the cover but this sewn solution seemed more practical to me.

180812_5

From left to right, the empty fabric cover, the fabric cover with the keyboard inserted and the fabric cover with keyboard and tablet.

The cover lining has a pocket on one side that the keyboard covers slips into to hold it in place. The tablet attaches to the keyboard cover via magnets and this still seemed to work just fine when there was one layer of fabric in between the tablet and the cover. I used the selvedge of the fabric so I didn’t have to do a hem or double layer to have a finished edge. On the other side the keyboard is held in place via two pieces of elastic. At the centre there is also a piece of ribbon for extra security, this was attached after partially sewing the outside and lining pieces together so I could determine where exactly to put it. The lining part of the flap has no interfacing to keep the flap thin.

I am happy with my no longer boring cover. Do you still think it is crazy to make a cover for a cover?

More sewing room improvements or the continuing Malmification of our home

After finding a storage solution for my works in progress and frequently used tools it was time to tackle the next problem.

My sewing room has build in cabinets on one side and these offer ample storage space. In theory enough space to store everything that I have. However, the cabinets are very deep which works great for storing large things like quilt battings, but not so great for small items like spools of overlocker thread and fat quarters.

I often find myself looking for something that I know I have but I just can’t find it because there are so many other things stuffed around it. This is a waste of time and since I don’t have that much time for sewing these days I don’t want to spend it searching for that roll of wonder tape or that specific type of interfacing.

By rearranging my sewing and cutting tables I freed up the opposite side of the room for some chests of drawers. Somehow, when my husband and I are looking for something with drawers we always end up buying an Ikea Malm. I did consider getting the Nordli, because it is a bit more modular, but I realized that for the same amount of storage space I would be paying nearly twice as much. Besides, I knew I’d like the Malm since we already had six of them spread throughout the house.

180804

Besides offering probably more space than I need for supplies, the two lower cabinets will also be used to store my overlocker and coverstitch machine when they are not in use. This will create even more workspace on my sewing table.

We still need to attach the cabinets to the wall and then I can start sorting through all the stuff that is currently stored in the other cabinets to decide what to put where. I’ll probably find a thing or two that I had completely forgotten I had. I am already looking forward to an even more organized sewing experience!