Another fabric crown

Remember how I made a set of fabric crowns for my niece and oldest daughter? Now my youngest daughter has one too. She requested a blue one.

I made it during a nice afternoon crafting session with my oldest daughter. She made a bracelet from beads while I made the crown. She was very adamant that her sister’s crown should also feature a star like hers. Unfortunately, I am completely out of iron on star patches. I did, however, have this Alison Glass iron on patch that definitely features a star. And a safety pin. Quite a funny detail to put on a crown, but I’ll go with it.

The construction was basically the same as last time. The sequin colours that I used were matched to the colours on the iron on patch. The back of the crown is an Alison Glass print.

My daughter is very happy that she now has her own crown to wear. Not only because she wasn’t allowed to wear her sister’s, but also because this one actually fits her much smaller head.

Pictures come with complimentary peanut butter stains because my daughter already wore it to daycare before I could take pictures. Fortunately, I think it’s probably safe to wash these crowns…

Going patchwork mini

This quarter my guild has a mini & MAXI theme and a challenge to go with it. We could choose from the half-square triangle, pineapple, robbing Peter to pay Paul or crown and star blocks to make something to fit the theme.

I chose the pineapple block because I had never made one even though it is quite similar to the log cabin block which I love to make. Going maxi would quickly lead to a quilt top and, since I already have several tops still waiting to be quilted, going mini seemed the wiser choice here. A postcard maybe?

Scrolling through Google images for inspiration I saw a lot of different pineapple variations but they were all square, as most quilt blocks are. Since I was thinking about making a postcard, I started wondering what the pineapple block would look like if it was stretched out to fit a 4×6” block.

So, I went to Adobe Illustrator to play around a bit and I came up with a FPP design that I thought promising. It definitely qualifies as mini with 69 pieces and the smallest less than ¼” wide.

For the fabrics I chose a simple pastel colour scheme that is a bit outside of the colour range that I usually gravitate toward but I quite like it. The background is Bella solid Mint and the triangles are Coral Rose and Pale Pink. I thought it fun to make the small triangles pop.

At the beginning it was a bit fiddly, but the block came together quicker than I had expected. After a couple of rounds it’s possible to sew the four triangles in one go before you need to press again which really speeds things up.

To finish, I paired the patchwork top with a light blue fabric interfaced with Decovil light and simply zig zagged the edges with a reddish thread.

All in all, a successful experiment!