For my Cherrywood quilt I auditioned several background colours using Photoshop and decided on dark blue. I’ve now attached the fabric on all sides and I’m pretty happy with the result. It still needs some squaring up and I’m debating how much I am going to chop off the bottom. It currently measures about 130×230 cm. I know people make much larger quilts than this but to me this feels ginormous and I’m somewhat dreading the quilting stage…. Perhaps if I use a really thin and lightweight batting it will still be enjoyable?
Curious what this top looked like without the border?
I finished piecing and there is no denying that the top is now lopsided. If this was a traditional sampler quilt this would be quite an issue. The beauty of improv, however, is that this is absolutely fine. Just add something to the sides to square it up and you’re good. So, what to add to the sides? I am now leaning towards ordering some Cherrywood yardage in a dark blue like indigo, but also still wondering whether a lighter colour would work better.
Curious what this project looked like in week 17 and week 16?
Last week’s 2-coloured units were stacked in layers of 4 and I made another angled cut. The two sides were mixed and matched to make 4 new units with different colour combinations. I put them on my design wall and started shuffling. I did want the colours to be somewhat evenly distributed across the quilt, but I also wanted some bleeding to occur so that from a distance you can’t immediately tell that the quilt is made from rectangular units. I have started assembly of the top by sewing 4 of the units together to make larger rectangles.
I didn’t use a ruler this time. Quite liberating.
I am already thinking about the back. Somehow I am pulled towards recycled denim, but deterred because of the weight it will add to the quilt sandwich which may prove quilting a bit more challenging than I prefer.
If you want to have a look at how this project evolved from last week click here.
Last weekend I wanted to do some improvisational piecing and just started cutting. I used a selection of blue and orange/brownish fabric pieces from Cherrywood fabrics grab bags which were stacked in piles of 4, sliced once at an angle and pieced together to make 4 units with different colour combinations.
I think I’ll do another round of stacking, slicing and piecing.
I am going to see how I like doing a short post like this with a single picture of something I’m working on right now as a (semi) regular feature. I am usually more of a completed project blogger so we’ll see if I can keep it up.